PCS Moves

Arizona Attendance Requirements

Arizona Revised Statute 15-803 requires school attendance for all children between the ages of 6 and 16 years old. If a Kindergarten program is maintained at the school, a child is eligible for admission to kindergarten if the child is 5 years of age by September 1st.

If you and your family are relocating to Department of Defense Dependent School (DODDS) in Europe, Asia/Pacific, or the Southern Hemisphere, please visit the DODEA website.

If your children will be attending International Schools, please visit the Non-DOD Schools Program page on the DODEA website.

Academic Recordkeeping

Keeping accurate and complete academic records for your children is vital for supporting smooth PCS transitions as well as ensuring students are accepted on grade level at new schools, graduate high school on time, and are college and career ready. Here are a few resources to help military families compile and maintain good academic records for their children which can follow them for every PCS move:

K-12 PCS Helpful Documents
K-12 PCS Tips
Recommended Questions for Parents to Ask
MCAS Yuma School Information Packet for Families
MCAS Yuma Installation Overview & Guides
DoDEA Partnership with LEA's and SLO Directory
K-12 Changing Schools Resources 
School Withdrawal/ Enrollment Checklist (MCEC)
Military Parent's Guide to School Policies & Transitions (MCEC)
PCS Guidelines DoDEA in Okinawa


Youth Sponsorship

The MCCS Yuma School Liaison Program also has the priority of ensuring that youth in transition are connected with support services on the installation and within the community to assist them during their transition from one installation to another. Youth in transition who are arriving or are inbound to MCAS Yuma have access to a variety of youth sponsorship resources to help them during their transition so that they can begin to adapt and thrive as quickly as possible in their new home. Some resources are found aboard the installation while others are offered by and sometimes in partnership with local education agencies. Families inbound to MCAS Yuma are encouraged to reach out to their child’s school to find out how their child’s school will be able to support their schooling transition starting with their first day on campus.

Additionally, military connected youth are eligible to participate in CYB-MFLC programs where offered. For students to participate, a parent or guardian must submit a signed permission slip to the school or youth center point of contact for the program. Parents who are unsure of whether their child’s school offers this program can contact the School Liaison to determine which schools have this program available. The School Liaison can also assist in collecting signed CYB-MFLC permission forms and turning them in to the appropriate point of contact at the child’s school or youth center program. 

Transitioning a Special Needs Student

  1. Contact your local special education counselor/director and request assistance as to what should be done before the transition to the new school. Write or contact the special education director for the state that you are going to and request local policies.
  2. Schedule an Annual, Review, and Dismissal meeting to discuss the progress your child has made since your last Individualized Education Program (IEP) review. Ask for written suggestions that may help your child and the staff at the new school.
  3. Request a copy of your child’s complete educational record to include a copy of the latest IEP. Hand carry all records, samples of your child’s work, and other information related to your child’s education.
  4. Contact your local Marine Corps Exceptional Family Member Program Coordinator. They can assist you with identifying resources at your new duty station.

Quick Checklist for School Moves

Stay organized during your move
Use our quick checklist to help you keep organized for school moves.
Learn more


School Liaison Program- Make your next PCS a Positive Change of Schools.